Marathon 21 & 22 in 50 of the #50in50: KY & NJ
22 of 50 states in the #50in50 done:
- NEW YORK 11/4/18: @nycmarathon
- NEVADA 11/11/18: @runrocknroll Vegas
- PENNSYLVANIA 11/18/18: @Philly_Marathon
- WASHINGTON 11/25/18: @seattlemarathon
- TENNESSEE 12/1/18: @stjude Memphis
- ALABAMA 12/8/18: @irunrocketcity
- FLORIDA 1/13/19: @rundisney #wdwmarathon
- LOUISIANA 1/20/19: @thelamarathon
- MISSISSIPPI 1/26/19: Mississippi blues Marathon
- ARIZONA 2/9/19: Mesa-Phoenix Marathon @phxmarathon
- TEXAS 2/17/19: Austin marathon @austinmarathon
- MASSACHUSETTS 2/24/19: Hyannis Marathon @hyannismarathon
- SOUTH CAROLINA 3/2/19: Myrtle Beach marathon @runmbm
- ARKANSAS 3/3/19: Little Rock marathon @lrmarathon
- NORTH CAROLINA 3/9/19: Wrightsville Beach marathon @wbmarathon
- GEORGIA 3/17/19: Publix Atlanta marathon @atlantatrackclub
- NEW MEXICO 3/21/19: Dust Bowl Series - New Mexico
- OKLAHOMA 3/22/19: Dust Bowl Series - Oklahoma
- KANSAS 3/24/19: Chisholm Trail marathon @chisholmtrail44
- MISSOURI 4/7/19: Go! St Louis marathon @gostlouis
- KENTUCKY 4/27/19: Kentucky Derby marathon @kyderbyfestival
- NEW JERSEY 4/28/19: New Jersey marathon @njmarathon
KENTUCKY DERBY MARATHON 4/27
Today I woke up early in Louisville and headed to the Kentucky Derby Marathon. I parked right next to the start line in a garage. This is the first race I ran in my new Zoom flys.
The race was nice. I started with the 4:00 pace group and stuck with them for about 10 miles. I fell back a little because I felt like I was going too hard. After a few more miles, I feel back a little more and met up with the 4:15 group. The first part of the run was hilly, and the second half of the race was pretty flat. We started and ended near Louisville Slugger stadium. Along the way we got to run around the Churchill Downs track. That was pretty cool. Here’s the course:
Here are my splits:
And here’s the medal:
I finished the race in about 4:19. I sprinted the last 100 meters or so. I love doing that. It’s also a crowd pleaser. I headed back to the hotel quickly to shower and change and drive back to Cincinatti airport. As I was driving I got a notification from Delta that my flight was canceled. I pulled over, called Delta and also tried to rebook through the app. Thankfully I got a flight that got me back to NYC at 11:30pm. I went to sleep around 1 am.
NEW JERSEY 4/28
I woke up at 4am and took the path train to Jersey City to meet my buddy Carmen so that we could drive down to the NJ marathon. Ferd met us there at the race. It was an easy drive. I only slept 3 hours, so I wasn’t rested.
We met up then hit the porto potties. While we were waiting in line, we saw a girl poop her pants while waiting. I don’t know why she didn’t just skip the line and go into one of the porto potties. Good news is she ended up finishing the race.
Ferd, Carmen and I then started running together. Carmen ran ahead. Ferd and I ran together at first. My legs were aching and tired. After a couple of miles I told Ferd he could run ahead because I didn’t think I was going to run a good race. At mile 5 he ran ahead. Around mile 18 it started lightly sprinkling. It’s a very flat course. There are some nice houses, but the best part was running along the boardwalk. I saw both Carmen and Ferd on the course. Carmen ended up finishing in 3:12 and Ferd in about 4:05. I finished around 4:35. I was happy to finish. They have a nice medal that spins.
My Apple Watch stopped working again after about 18 miles. I need to get it replaced finally.
After the race, Carmen and I drove back to Newark and I took the train back to NYC. Overall a great course and nicely run race.
Join me on the #50in50 for the Gweneviere Mann Foundation, with many ways to get involved.
PLEASE DOWNLOAD GWENEVIERE’S SONG
She was excited about releasing an album that she had just finished, but she passed before she could realize that dream, so we just recently released a single "What I Can Be" off of her album for her so that we could fulfill that dream for her. Download it here
Together we will save lives through early detection programs for lung cancer and brain tumors.
I ❤️ you Gwen.